Nov 4, 2009

I'm Surrounded By...

...Silkworm moths having   S.   E.   X.


Once the above is complete (right now it's all about diverting my eyes because this scene is playing out all around me) the male goes off into a corner of the egg carton in search of a cigarette and the female...

gets to the serious work of laying about 500 eggs.

 Now, it might just be my middle-agedness talking here but, I find the below picture exciting!

Soon there will be 100 of these lovely, lovely SILKEN cocoons emptied out and ready for spinning action! That's enough for some tiny fibery adventure. So, I'm guessing in about a week the Roman Holiday will have wound down and the real fun of harvesting lustrous silken noils shall begin in earnest. Meanwhile, I'm going to give these kids their privacy.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Great pictures! How many will it take to make a sock?

Flossiekat said...

That is so cool!!! I've always wanted to try growing my own silk worms. I'm so glad I found you. Your work is stunning!

Lisa said...

Astounding! A keepsake for sure!

Lisa said...

It does look so real!